Dear Patriot Families:
In the next few days, students who wrote diploma exams will have access to their final grades through “My Pass”. Grade 10, 11 and 12 students can create an account. Diploma results are NO LONGER MAILED home.
Should students decide to improve their marks, they can sign up for a “Diploma Redo” course through CBE Learn from February 14 – February 27. Courses are available to every CBE student in Calgary so the classes may fill quickly. Please see Mr. Colvin or Ms. Olsen (Student Services) as soon as you know your results.
FAQs about Diploma Redo from CBE LEARN:
Why are you offering this new term?
- Our teachers analyzed our student data from the past few years, and determined there was a specific population of students who were not being accommodated.
- Historically, many students choose to redo their diploma-level courses with CBe-learn, so we wanted to ensure we were customizing and personalizing the experience for this significant student population.
- Like a Summer School course, the course will be slightly condensed, but all of the general and specific outcomes will be met.
When are you offering this term?
- Diploma Redo starts on March 9 and runs until the end of the semester: June 14, 2017.
- Registration runs from February 14 through February 27.
Which students are best suited for Diploma Redo?
- Students who have already completed the course and have a passing mark will be most successful in this term. It is designed for students who are looking to upgrade their mark by taking the entire course over again, and re-writing their Diploma Exam.
What if they didn’t pass their Diploma Exam?
- If a student did not pass their Diploma Exam the first time, and therefore does not have a passing overall grade, we can still accept them into the Diploma Redo term.
- On good faith, we will be accepting students into this term based on the recommendation of their counsellor or school administrator.
Is this a diploma prep course?
- No. Although preparation for the Diploma Exam is part of the content, this is a full course that covers all outcomes for the specific subject.
- Students will be expected to complete all of the course content, activities and assessment.
Will students be required to start over?
- Our conversations with students and counsellors have indicated that most students will be starting the course from the beginning, with the intention of ameliorating their mark across all units of the course.
- If a student missed one or two units completely, because of illness or other mitigating factors, we can work through a High School Success model and ensure their previous work is honored. Please contact me if you require any clarification about this on a case-by-case basis.
What will be different?
- Because it is a focused group of students who have already been exposed to the content of the curriculum, our teachers will be able to move faster through material.
- This term is really designed for students who already have the basic understanding and knowledge in the subject area, so they can work quickly through their areas of strength, and take more time where they need it.
- The teachers of these classes will understand they have a whole cohort of students in a similar position, and will tailor their communication, feedback and assessment to ensure students are getting exactly what they need.
Will students get a new mark?
- Yes. If students complete the Diploma Redo course, they will obtain a mark.
- Marks will be submitted to Alberta Education in June, at the end of the traditional semester.
What if I have more questions or suggestions?
- As a new term for us, we welcome all suggestions to help make this successful for all CBE students.
- Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, concerns or suggestions. I want to ensure this is a advantageous term for our grade 12 CBE population.
- Monti Tanner, Assistant Principal, CBE Learn (email@example.com)
- For on-site support at LBP, please see Mr. Colvin and Ms. Olsen in Student Services.